- Feeling down?
- Lost interest in your usual pleasures?
- Waking up feeling exhausted?
- Having difficulty concentrating or making decisions?
- Feeling guilty, anxious or worthless?
- Just not feeling like yourself recently?
When you suffer from depression, it feels like nothing can ever help and nothing will ever change. This is what depression does to your thinking – it makes you feel certain that you can never feel happy again. It drains the pleasure from things you used to enjoy, makes you see everything through a negative lens and eradicates hope and energy. In short, depression is like a parasite feeding off your life. But when you know how depression works and what it needs to sustain it, then you start to gain power over it and hope starts to grow again.
I have specialised training in an approach to treating depression that focuses on getting you feeling better quickly. When we meet, once we have gathered any necessary background information, the very next thing we will do is to ensure you understand why you are feeling this way. It has a lot to do with very high levels of stress hormones in the body (whether or not you ‘feel stressed’), which leads to physical as well as mental exhaustion. Then I will work quickly to help you feel better by using deep relaxation with you. This is to prepare your brain to learn, because as you’ve probably noticed, depression makes it almost impossible to pay attention and retain information. After just a few sessions, I would expect you to feel better than you have in a long time. But of course, depression doesn’t lift overnight. We have to work together to address whatever is underlying your depression and to ensure your depression does not return. Each programme is tailored to your specific needs, but in the following sessions we may work together to:
- reduce the amount of worrying and introspection you are doing
- resolve any practical problems that are causing you stress and anxiety
- work on any relationship difficulties you may be having
- release past emotional challenge and trauma
- help you balance your thinking so you are not plagued by negative thoughts
- strengthen your self-esteem and boost your intrinsic self-worth
- gradually introduce elements to your life that will protect you from becoming depressed again
With over twenty years’ experience as a hypno-psychotherapist, I have successfully helped hundreds of clients to recover from depression. I often see clients that have not been helped by other forms of therapy (such as cognitive behavioural therapy, CBT) but who have been able to achieve great success with hypnotherapy. I am also experienced with helping clients to come off anti-depressant medication (under medical supervision), whilst minimizing withdrawal effects and relapse.
Depression can make you feel hopeless. This is especially so if you have already experienced repeated cycles of depression or if you have tried other forms of therapy without success. But there is hope, so please give me a call and we can discuss how I can help.